A job description is like a GPS, it gives directions in save and accurate way to the correct destination without wasting valuable time.
A job description is a list of the general tasks, or functions, and responsibilities of a position. It may often include to whom the position reports, specifications such as the qualifications or skills needed by the person in the job, or a salary range. There are number of benefits by having a job description in place. The following are some to the benefits:
- The position is clearly defined to the employee prior to commencement.
- Having a well written job description creates an understanding between the employee and the employer.
- It is a description of employee’s responsibilities.
- It is a guideline of Workplace, health and safety of all employees ensuring the safety of people concern.
- Job descriptions is utilised for future performance reviews and recruitment process.
- Guideline to create a job advertisement
- Guideline to create an interview questionnaire
- Guideline to create a selection criteria for a job interview
- Improving cooperation by giving all members of the organization insight into existing responsibilities/roles
- Enabling career moves within the organization
- Increase of results by specification of responsibilities and key performance indicators
- The key performance indicators and responsibilities are measurable
- Development of ownership for specific competencies
The 10 steps in creating a well functional Job Description.
1. Job Title
2. The date it was created
3. Reporting Line (Relationships) from and to
4. Department they are working in
5. Job Summary
6. Duties and functions
8. Physical Requirements and Work Environments
9. WHS Obligations