Travel exemption for sponsored skilled worker

by | Jan 27, 2021 | Blog

For off-shore applicants awaiting their employer sponsored visas, the process currently is very slow. However, in most cases, even the visa is granted  the holders of temporary employer sponsored visas such as a Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482)​ and Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494) are the subject to Australian travel restrictions and not able to enter Australia.

Those who have an occupation on the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation list (PMSOL) not only have a priority processing of their nominations and visa applications but they can apply for an individual exemption from current travel restriction.

PMSOL identifies 18 occupations which fill critical skills needs to support Australia’s economic recovery from COVID-19:

  •  Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
  • Construction Project Manager (133111)
  • Mechanical Engineer (233512)
  • General Practitioner (253111)
  • Resident Medical Officer (253112)
  • Psychiatrist (253411)
  • Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
  • Midwife (254111)
  • Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
  • Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
  • Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
  • Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
  • Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
  • Registered Nurses nec (254499)
  • Developer Programmer (261312)
  • Software Engineer (261313)
  • Social Worker (272511)
  • Maintenance Planner (312911)

A request for a travel exemption for sponsored skilled worker could be submitted by an individual or a sponsoring business on their behalf. 

The request could be submitted before the visa grant however, individuals must hold a valid visa and an exemption before they travel.

The Department of Home affairs recommends applicants to submit an application for an exemption at least two weeks, but not more than two months, before planned travel.

The request for an exemption must be lodged using the on-line form and supported by evidence of current employment in Australia including the supporting statement from the sponsoring business and a statement of temporary worker setting out the reasons for travel and how the individual meet the requirements for an exemption.

If the Department decides that evidence is not sufficient the application for an exemption still can be refused.

For questions about Australian visas and Immigration matters please contact a Registered Migration


Yana Asmalovskaya

Mobile: 0413392894  


Did you like this article? Share it now!

Get in Touch

Do you want to know how we can help you?

Categories Blog


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *